Meeting minutes:

Wayne Radio Amateur Emergency Team Meeting January 11, 2019
Published: February 07, 2019


Wayne Radio Amateur Emergency Team
Meeting Minutes for 1-11-19

Carver W2TFM
The meeting started at 7:35 pm. Carver moderated the meeting. It began with a flag salute followed by discussion of agenda items.

Club Business Meeting Topics (Members Only Discussion)

Approval of Meeting Minutes December 14 - Carver W2TFM
Minutes approved by majority vote.

Monthly Net report – Aly – AL0Y
The net is held on the 4th Wednesday of the month at 8 pm on the WRAET 2M Repeater.
Net Attendees 12‐26‐18  Opened 8:00 pm. Closed 8:31 pm (2M  Repeater) 
Aly ‐ NCS  AL0Y 
Jim  N2RBJ  
Carver   W2TFM 
Joe  K2JVS  
Chris  KD2OLL  
Steve  KD2PJK  
Dave  K2NEC  
Allan  K2AJB  
Rob  N2RDA  

Next net will be Wednesday January 23 on the 2M repeater. Aly needs NCS. Will contact Allan, K2AJB

Web Site – Aly AL0Y No change

WRAET Facebook Page – Steve KD2PJK
Steve added Field Day pictures to the page provided by Aly (thank you!). Also, some of the information on the WRAET web site will be duplicated on the Facebook page.

Membership – Allan K2AJB
Not at meeting. However Allan worked KB2UHD, Dave Conte of Woodland Park on the 220 Repeater. Welcome George Olschiewski III, KD2QNF as guest! Allan is getting information on new licensees working with Rob, NNJ Section Manager,

Proposal to select and start on the Scouting Radio Merit Badge and the Communications Merit Badge Jack KB2LNO and Jim N2RBJ. Neither attended the meeting.  

ARES/RACES Drill – Mike KD2NCN Mike, KD2NCN solicited ideas for future drills. Matt, W2ORT offered three: Power Outage, Snowstorm (traffic accidents, street blockages, etc.) and Nuclear blast in NYC. Mike elected Power Outage (eg.,10 watts or less) and will develop a scenario for our next drill. Captain Daly replaces Captain O’Sullivan as OEM Director Mike will update Captain Daly regarding the need to issue a letter to all license amateur radio operators in Wayne from Wayne OEM inviting them to join our club.

Field Day 2019 – Jack, KB2LNO Seeking chair. Matt, W2ORT, volunteered to participate but has a conflicting event during Field Day weekend. He reviewed the Field Day package received from Jack and is willing to take the lead on the planning part of Field Day. Dave, K2NEC declined to be considered as Chair for Field Day. Jack was not at the meeting so no further discussion took place.

There was also the suggestion of using a simpler call sign for our next Field Day.

Open Chair positions: Hamfest chair is still required.

WRAET Jackets The potential vendor for WRAET jackets, hats and etc. will come to our next meeting, February 8th. His name is Phil Bellomo, a Wayne resident, and is an owner of Finish Line Sports. Phil has done work for the Boy Scout troop for years and served as Assistant Scoutmaster.

Mayor/Council recognition of WRAET Club Joe, K2JVS – still pending

EchoLink proposal to Wayne OEM for funding – Joe K2JVS, Matt, W2ORT Joe, K2JVS was not at the meeting. However, Matt, W2ORT, developed a cost proposal for installing EchoLink on the WRAET repeater which amounts to $360 plus cables. Recurring cost is Internet service which Mike believes is already in place. The proposal is attached and needs to be reviewed by Joe, K2JVS.
Programs – Matt W2ORT – The planned program was deferred. Matt did not bring his video equipment He was planning on video recording of various tutorial topics of interest such as RACES, ARES and Field Day activities. The February meeting speaker is NNJ Section Manager Rob, KA2PBT. A request was made for a speaker program on FT8 digital communications. Matt will find a speaker for that.

Logos for Banners, ID Cards, etc. – Matt W2ORT – Matt had earlier sent out draft designs but received little feedback. He will send them our again and request feedback.

Other Member business proposed from the floor Gary, WA2BAU, researched and reported on repeater satellite communications using multiple, geographically dispersed receivers with contention and selection. Gary will brief Joe, K2JVS, on his findings. Joe had brought the subject up at the December meeting.

Klondike scouting event is scheduled for Saturday January 19th at Shepard Lake. They need radio volunteers. Dave, K2NEC emailed details to all members. Those details are:
On Saturday, January 19th, from 7am till 3pm, Hams are greatly needed to help the Ramapo Valley BSA council with their annual Klondike Derby held at Shepherd Lake in Ringwood, NJ.

A Klondike derby is an annual event held by some Boy Scouts of America and Scouts Canada districts during the winter months and is based on the heritage of the Klondike Gold Rush. BSA units have been running Klondike derbies since 1949.

The event varies by district, but the typical Klondike derby consists of several stations where patrols/units must test their Scoutcraft skills and their leadership abilities, earning points towards a total score. Often, one or more races are included while the Scouts navigate between stations.

Great public service to the 500 young boys and girls in competition in outside environs!

To register and find out more please contact Event Lead, Lee Smith, KD2DRS Email: KD2DRS@ARRL.NET Phone: 215-307-6036 (cell)


GUEST/PUBLIC PORTION There was one guest at the meeting – George Olschiewski III, KD2QNF. George is looking for a club to join. Allan, K2AJB will contact him on the Club as well as our monthly repeater net.

ADJOURNMENT - Meeting adjourned at 8:15 pm. Next meeting will be Friday, February 8, 7:30 pm.